API’s curriculum reflects a rigorous college preparatory pathway designed to align with high school graduation plans accepted by public and private universities. The educational program for students in grades 9 through post-secondary graduate is a hybrid of the School of Tomorrow’s Accelerated Christian Education* (A.C.E.) curriculum supplemented with Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills* (TEKS) and the ACT Quality Core.
Accelerated Christian Education (A.C.E.) curriculum has Scripture as its foundation, which fully integrates biblical principles, wisdom, and character-building concepts into education. This curriculum is used as a basis for our required religion course, Christian Growth, for electives, and as a supplemental resource.
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills or TEKS was adopted by The State Board of Education of Texas 1998. The curriculum is used as a framework for Texas schools to identify what students should know and be able to do at every grade and in every subject area.
The ACT Quality Core high school course standards in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening, Language, and Math are aligned 100 percent to the Common Core State Standards. This alignment allows for educators to better:
- focus on course standards that are the essentials for college and career readiness
- use formative assessments to guide instruction and make targeted interventions
- measure student progress through benchmark and end-of-course assessments
- provide training opportunities for teachers and leaders
- customize instruction to the needs of specific classrooms, schools, and districts
Dual CREDIT: College courses (English IV, US History, economics, government, physics, and Spanish III can be taken on a college campus for high school credit and college credit hours. They are 1 or 2 semester courses.
COURSE NOTE: Counselor approval and College Readiness Standards prerequisites needed to apply
Comprehensive Graduation Requirements
Advanced Preparatory International offers a traditional high school program to help students develop critical problem solving skills and core curricula foundations to aid them in student success and achievement after graduation. Whether student goals are to attend college for the purpose of development of skill sets directed toward a career or to become a student athlete, all students will be emerged in an independent, college-preparatory environment with flexible schedules, web-based course options, and mandatory tutorial sessions. Our diverse and experienced faculty will promote creativity, independent analysis, and discussion through a dynamic, project-based curriculum.
Advanced Preparatory International offers individuals who are near completion of high school the opportunity to earn a high school diploma from a secondary school. API offers a variety of high school credit courses that meet graduation requirements. Courses are individualized and self-paced. Additionally, students who have had challenges with the State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness (STAAR) or Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) will find a chance to overcome them. This option is ideal for students needing 1 – 4 credits or STAAR/TAKS to earn their high school diploma. All courses are designed to be equivalent to a one semester high school course that demonstrates mastery of identified subject areas or is in lieu of passing deficient areas of STAAR/TAKS.
Post-Graduation/Higher Education Support Program
There is a growing need for a specialized athletic post-graduation/higher education program to assist high school graduates preparing to complete at the collegiate level. Now more than ever, collegiate coaches are highly selective in their student-athlete search. Players who come through a strong post-graduation program have a recruiting edge by becoming a well-rounded prospect athletically, academically, and socially. An additional year of athletic performance training, academic profile improvement, and physical maturation, gives student-athletes the ability to transition more effectively at the collegiate level on the court, in the classroom, and in society.
English I, English II, English III, English IV or English IV-DC
Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus
Biology, Physical Science, Chemistry, Physics or Physics-DC
World Geography, World History, US/American History or US/American History-DC, Government or Government-DC, Economics or Economics-DC
2 Credits of = Foreign Language -Spanish I , Spanish II (and or Spanish III -DC)
1 Credit of = Physical Education or PE EQ GIRLS/BOYS ATH
1 Credit of = Fine Arts – Dance 1 /II, Art I / II
4 Credits of Electives*
- Must include .5 or 1 Credit of Communication Applications or Professional Communications
- Anatomy / Physiology
- Business Math
- Christian Growth
- Introduction to Missions
- Peer Assistance Leadership I / II (PALs)
- ACT English Prep
- ACT Math Prep
- Sociology – DC
*Includes opportunities for: Dual Credit with a Dallas Community College, internships in a field of interest Elective courses and/or Dual Credit Courses taken in appropriate coherent sequence is consistent with Texas State HB5 Endorsements
DC = Dual Credit – Course taken on college campus for both High School and College Credit
Though not required, this curriculum is designed to be aligned with The State of Texas standards for graduating high school students; students will not be required to complete the State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness (STAAR).
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS OF ADVANCED PREPARATORY INTERNATIONAL
The academic programs of Advanced Preparatory International are consistent with academic expectations of the educational community.
- Each student is placed on a course of study that is aligned with the guidelines of their educational needs.
- Content of core curriculum is equivalent to one and two semesters of a school year as offered in Christian, private, and public schools.
- Core curriculum includes: English, math, science, social studies, and electives that will make up the course requirements for graduation.
- Core curriculum materials are provided by the following publishers: BJU Press, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, and McGraw Hill Education. The educational emphasis of Advanced Preparatory International is aligned with college readiness standards, and the programs we offer result in student mastery of educational competencies and course requirements.
- Completion of required curriculum, grading, and presentation of credit for core curriculum is accomplished by traditional methodology.
- Credit requirements for graduation from high school are aligned with the course requirements of the State of Texas.
- The educational philosophy of Advanced Preparatory International complies with the traditional heritage of the United States.
The Grading Scale
The grading scale of Advanced Preparatory International is based on the Carnegie Unit of one (1) credit for each course year of two (2) semesters. Letter grades are based on the following numerical system:
A = 100–90 B = 89–80 C = 79–70 F = 69–0